BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 10, 2011

Ear Infection

If I remember correctly DS had two ear infections last winter. Each time he was clearly sick: he was febrile, lethargic, irritable, poor sleeping, poor appetite, etc. There was no mistaking it. And that's pretty much how he always presented when sick. Just when you think you've got it figured out they go and throw you through a loop. Two weeks ago DH called me to say that the daycare called and told him that DS had green and yellow pus oozing from his left ear. He was running around playing and acting as if nothing had happened. I couldn't think of anything that would present in that way other than a ruptured tympanic membrane, so I told DH to run him over to the clinic to have it looked at. Sure enough, he had a terrible ear infection that caused his ear drum to burst. Poor little guy never showed any symptoms. He never had a fever, never acted like he felt poorly, never tugged on his ears, nothing. Luckily some oral antibiotic and ear drops cleared it right up. I am a nurse, I like to think I'm pretty perceptive about these kind of things, but I had no clue...I don't see how anyone could have seen it coming. He presented so strangely, in that he had no presentation at all. He's really trying to keep us on our toes.

0 comments: