Thursday I met with my new doctor for a "pre-conception" consultation. I had only met with her once before, a few weeks after my m/c, for follow-up that my original Dr. just didn't seem capable of. At the time of our first appointment with her we were so focused on getting out of the m/c alive and without further compilations that we were only able to focus on what was going on in the moment and did not ask many questions about the future at that time. Then, as the weeks passed and we started to think about the future and the possibility of a 'next time' we realized that we had some questions that we needed answered and some fears that we needed reassured. Obviously this is not something we want to happen again, so we had many questions about what to do differently next time to improve our chances of success. I first asked her how soon after getting a +HPT would I be able to get labs done or come in for an appointment. With my first pregnancy my first appointment at my old Dr was at 8 wk 3 days, and that was when we had our 1st u/s at which time we received the devastating news that our baby was going to die. She told us that as soon as I get a +HPT to call in and speak with her nurse and they will schedule me for a beta and progesterone check. They will follow me for a while to make sure I keep doubling. Once my HCG is greater than 2,000 I will come in for an early u/s. She also called in a prescription for progesterone suppositories that I can go pick up and begin taking as soon as I get a +HPT, even before getting labs or coming in to see them. She said that I would remain on them until 12-14 wks. She also said that as soon as my pregnancy is confirmed they will increase my thyroid medication and will check my TSH every 4 weeks to titrate my medication. I will be able to have an NT scan if I'd like, a 20 wk u/s, and a 28 wk u/s, as well as additional u/s and/or 3D u/s if I would like to. She also told me something that surprised me: that I will be considered "high risk" when I get pregnant again. I know I have issues, with my brain tumor and all of its endocrine involvement, but I guess I didn't really see it coming. My first Dr always brushed everything off and told me that everything was find and I'd easily have a normal, healthy pregnancy. Hearing "high risk" just makes you feel like either you or the baby (or both) might not come out of it alive, which is a very scary thought, especially after having already lost one baby and understanding the pain that goes along with that. But I'm trying to look at it as a good thing. It means that I will be more closely and frequently monitored, extra precautions will be taken, I will likely be given priority to be seen early in many cases, and that my healthcare will be taken seriously. All of these things will increase my chances of having a healthy pregnancy and baby. And I would risk a lot for that.
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment